Thursday, October 27, 2011

Nice to meet you and a hearty handshake

Well, I am once again concerned about how to teach my children skills that I have not yet perfected, er...not even close to perfected!
I was recently speaking with a co-worker whose daughter is a pretty serious volleyball player. She is being contacted by college coaches and is going to meet them. The mother was telling me how they are teaching her to approach people, introduce herself and present herself in a professional manner. At first she was timid and mom and dad were right with her (but making her do the talking) and then she was able to step forward and do it on her own, with mom and/or dad close behind.

I think that is awesome parenting! And it made me wonder again how will I teach my twins to approach someone when I am really not comfortable doing that at times. I need to store these parenting tid-bits for future use.

I work with high school students and there are some parents that I encounter that all are about doing the work for the girls (its an all-girls school), "my daughter..." This is my reminder that I am NOT going to be one of those parents. These kids have a voice, they need to learn how to use it and use it effectively. Sometimes they use their voice too much...and don't say anything at all.

Ok, that is stored in my parenting "in box"...at least until they learn how to say actuall words!

Till next time!
~CSP

No comments:

Post a Comment